Cobble Hill, BC V0R 1L3 778-356-3306
Certifications: Chelation, Prescriptive Authority
My practice is in Valleyview Centre in Cobble Hill, 10 minutes south of Duncan on the Island Highway. For more information about who I am and what I do, please visit www.drwickland.com. Online booking and virtual appointments by phone or video are available for BC residents.
I developed an appreciation for a healthy lifestyle during my childhood on Saltspring Island, BC. Inspired by a love of wholesome and delicious food, I chose to pursue a career in nutrition. After graduating from the University of British Columbia with a Bachelor of Science in Dietetics, I completed an 11-month dietetic internship through the Vancouver Hospital and Health Sciences Centre. Following my internship I worked as a clinical dietitian at Vancouver General Hospital in a variety of different areas including general surgery, neurosurgery/neurology, acute medicine, sub-acute geriatrics, long-term care, diabetes and renal dialysis.
During my training and work as a clinical dietitian I saw first hand both the positive and negative aspects of the conventional medical system. While recognizing that conventional medicine was well suited to resolving critical situations, I was struck by the need to have more tools to help my patients with chronic illness. After researching a variety of career options, I was impressed by the principles and scope of naturopathic medicine and enrolled in the four-year program at the Boucher Institute of Naturopathic Medicine. I practiced on Commercial Drive in Vancouver for 7 years before moving to the Cowichan Valley in 2013. I use a wide range of therapies in my practice and enjoy the challenge of individualizing my recommendations to meet the needs and priorities of my patients.
Some of my clinical interests include:
- Diabetes and insulin resistance/metabolic syndrome – comprehensive management including diet, lifestyle, supplementation and medications
- Brain health/dementia prevention
- Hormonal issues including thyroid disorders, PMS, perimenopause, menopause, andropause and stress/burnout
- Depression, anxiety and chronic fatigue
- Digestive issues including ulcerative colitis, celiac disease, Crohn’s disease, IBS and SIBO
- Detoxification – using diet, herbal medicines, drainage remedies and chelation agents for heavy metals
- Bowen therapy for acute and chronic pain management